13 October 2006

The Artful Paper Doll

One of the better bookstores in Melbourne is Reader's Feast - it's actually a book store, instead of a book supermarket, like Borders, Dymocks, Angus & Robertson, etc. I always find interesting books in their craft section, so I avoid going, as I know I'm going to spend money.

However, they have a great loyalty program, where you have a card, which you present at the time of purchase, and the amount is added to your account. At the end of six months, you get sent a gift voucher which is equal to 10% of your purchases for those six months, at the end of the year, if you've spent over $5,000, you get a $100 (I believe) gift voucher, plus your normal 10% one - too cool, and it's free.

Anyhow, I had my $20 gift voucher for the first half year and went and browsed early this week. I was a bit annoyed, because as usual, I found a craft book that was $10 cheaper than it had been at Borders, where I had bought it (because Borders is conveniently close to where I work - sigh). This is the first time that I've actually bought the more expensive version - oh well, never mind, it's done now.

So, I saw this book - Artful Paper Dolls - a beautiful book (this after rejecting about six other books that I had to have - LOL). I took it home and devoured it - wonderful stuff.

It got me to thinking about paper dolls (which I've always loved) and the digital medium. I'd already made several digital paper dolls and was ready to make another. However, this one was going to be a bit different, it was going to be more of an 'altered' paper doll, a bitza doll.

Here she is - I like her:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Most of the pieces are from the Big Box of Art, the flowers are by Tracy Ann Robinson and the word 'wondering' and flourishy overlay are by Ztampf.

1 comment:

liannallama said...

I think your journal is beautiful! I hope you decide to continue it!